Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
Spokesperson on Health and Wellness, Dr Morais Guy, says the Opposition rejects any attempt by the Government to use expired AstraZeneca vaccines. It is calling for Portfolio Minister Dr Christopher Tufton not to pursue any plan to...
A November 26 letter from the presidency asked the head of Uganda's national drug authority to 'work out a mechanism' to clear the importation of the vaccines.
China has about five COVID-19 vaccine candidates at different levels of trials. It was not clear what vaccine was being imported into Uganda.
One of the frontrunners is the Sinopharm vaccine developed by the Beijing Institute of Biological Product, a unit of Sinopharm’s China National Biotec Group (CNBG).
On Wednesday, the United Arab Emirates said the vaccine has 86% efficacy, citing an interim analysis of late-stage clinical trials.
China has used the drug to vaccinate up to a million people under its emergency use program.
On Tuesday, Morocco said it was ordering up to 10 million doses of the vaccine.
Record cases
Uganda on Monday registered 701 new COVID-19 cases, the highest-ever daily increase, bringing its national count to 23,200.
The new cases were out of the 5,578 samples tested for the novel coronavirus over the past 24 hours, the country's health ministry said in a statement.
Tuesday's tally was 606, the second-highest ever number of new infections, bringing the cumulative number of confirmed cases in the east African country to 23,860.
Health authorities have blamed ongoing election campaigns which have drawn huge crowds for the rise in infections.
\"We are in a race between the virus that is going to continue to mutate in order to spread more easily and the humanity that has to try and stop its spreading,\" said WHO’s technical lead on Covid-19, Maria Van Kerkhove.
Dear Editor,
Increasingly among development practitioners is an awareness of the cultural and social context of interventions and the impacts of these on outcomes of policies and actions.
The article Caution needed with HIV self-testing appeared first on Stabroek News.
The Government is moving to ensure that consumers have increased protection, through the merger of the Consumer Affairs Commission (CAC) and the Fair Trading Commission (FTC).
Green also urged consumers to utilise the services of the Agency, adding that they may do so using the CAC Jamaica App.
Meanwhile, Green informed that the CAC has an 85 per cent resolution rate, noting that over the last three years, more than $70 million has been secured for consumers whose rights had been breached at various business entities.
Green is also urging consumers to know their rights and report any breaches to the CAC.
When your rights have been breached, make a report to the Consumer Affairs Commission,” he stressed.
\tThe Government is to pump $308 million to help mitigate the impact of drought conditions which have been affecting Jamaica. \tMinister without portfolio with responsibility for water and housing, Daryl Vaz, told Parliament on Tuesday...
Prime Minister Andrew Holness says he will announce the protocols that have been established for the reopening of nurseries and day-care facilities shortly.
“Day care and nurseries — it's a big issue; we spent some time last week discussing them — the Ministry of Health [and Wellness], the Ministry of Local Government and [Community Development], and the Ministry of Education [Youth and Information].
We are expecting that by our next press conference we should be able to have some protocols as to how we would treat with the reopening of day cares and nurseries.
The prime minister was speaking at a virtual press conference from the Office of the Prime Minister Media Centre in Kingston on Monday.
Day-care centres and nurseries have been ordered closed by the Government since March, as part of measures to contain and reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus.
[Algerie Presse Service] Algiers -- The minister of the Communication, spokesman of the Government, Ammar Belhimer, welcomed Wednesday President Abdelmadjid Tebboune's safe return to the country, adding that his return, \"within the announced deadlines,\" was an \"opportunity to confirm the relationship of trust, respect, and cohesion between the president and the citizens.\"
[Premium Times] Mr Adinuba added that with the confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state since the second wave began three weeks ago, the state had recorded an average of 40 cases per week.
News24 understands that questions have arisen over the apparent stranglehold by the Department of Health on access to spatial data (geo-located confirmed coronavirus cases), data around testing, screening, contact tracing and hospitalisation data - which includes availability levels of medical supplies and high care beds.
This follows a turbulent 48 hours in which:
- Dr Glenda Gray, head of the South African Medical Research Council, one of the country's foremost HIV/Aids researchers and a member of the MAC, slammed the government's lockdown, calling much of it \"unscientific\" and \"nonsensical\";
- She was supported by other scientists and clinicians, as well as various members of the MAC, who said the MAC was not consulted on some aspects and details of the lockdown;
- An after-hours meeting of the MAC on Saturday night, during which Gray was reprimanded by Anban Pillay, acting director general of health; and
- Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, in late night phone calls to reporters, defending the government and his department's actions, denying that, among other things, information is being withheld.
He was responding to a News24 query sent last week, in which access to numerous data sets around Covid-19 was requested, and the Department of Health was asked to address the apparent cloak of secrecy around some types of data.
Van den Heever, the chair in the field of Social Security Systems Administration and Management Studies at the University of the Witwatersrand's School of Governance, told News24 in a wide-ranging interview the reasons given for withholding data, specifically around the location of confirmed cases as well as testing and contact tracing data, were illogical and unscientific.
So far, the Department of Health has not released modelling data or projections, reports over progress made to identify hotspots through testing and screening, contact tracing, testing data per region, and testing data that shows the growth rate of the epidemic (rate of positive and negative cases found per tests done), as well as data that shows time delays and backlogs in testing.
A STIGMA reportedly surrounding the Yallahs High School, St Thomas, after a student tested positive for COVID-19 has left at least one parent fuming. The news, which forced the institution to suspend face-to-face classes for the rest of the...
Merck, the original manufacturer of ivermectin, has said there is not enough data available to support the use of the medication for Covid-19 patients.
A move to make the Golden Age Home in St Andrew an arm of the Local Government Ministry, based on an International Monetary Fund (IMF) recommendation five years ago, has hit a major snag.The problem is that the home is a private company built in 1985 with an independent board of directors which has, over the years, been perceived as a government entity based on the fact that it is heavily subsidised by the State.
[New Zimbabwe] Illegal Covid-19 testing sites are mushrooming in the country as Zimbabweans intending to travel outside the country seek fake test papers to cross the national borders.
With no sign yet of COVID-19 vaccines for its members, CARICOM today expressed “deep concern” at the “current prospect of inequitable access” to the jabs and said it will explore all available options to access them to protect its population.
The article CARICOM `deeply concerned’ at inequitable access to COVID vaccines appeared first on Stabroek News.
(Trinidad Guardian) T&T is set to receive between 100,000 to 120,000 doses of the AstraZeneca two-dose vaccine by the end of February into March.
The article 120,000 COVID vaccines for T&T during 1st quarter appeared first on Stabroek News.
(Trinidad Guardian) Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Shamfa Cudjoe says members of the Caribbean Premier League contingent will not be treated any differently if anyone tests positive for COVID-19 during their stay in Trinidad and Tobago.
The article Shamfa Cudjoe: No special treatment for CPL players appeared first on Stabroek News.
KENYA IS the last country in East Africa to reopen schools for students after closing...
The post Schools in Kenya reopen after nine-month COVID-19 closure appeared first on Voice Online.
by PublicSource reporters The Allegheny County Health Department reported 276 new COVID-19 cases and three new deaths Saturday. Of the reported cases — from positive tests dated Dec. 5 to March 5 — individuals ranged in age from 3 months to 90 years, with a median age of 34. Five positive tests were more than … Continued
The post Allegheny County reports 276 new COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths appeared first on New Pittsburgh Courier.
[New Times] The Ministry of Sports on Thursday, July 9, issued new instructions giving more sports activities an all-clear to resume outdoor training in compliance with safety guidelines.
[Kubatana.net] The Zimbabwean government is obliged to ensure that the recently found Covid-19 vaccine is available to all citizens in an equitable manner and for free, Zimbabwe Association of Doctors for Human Rights (ZADHR) has stated.
[ANGOP] Luanda -- Angolan Government approved Thursday the legal regime of mandatory social protection of hired workers, as part of the economic activities that generate low income.
Thirteen new COVID-19 cases were recorded yesterday after 239 more persons were tested for the virus and for the month of December there were 13 deaths.
The article Thirteen COVID deaths in December appeared first on Stabroek News.
The Gauteng Health Department has been posting myth busters regarding the COVID-19 vaccine. Here’s to separating the truth from the tale.
[Nation] Public hospitals in Kenya lack capacity and personnel to handle the rapidly increasing cases of coronavirus and sustaining the universal health coverage (UHC), a new report by the Ministry of Health says.