Login to BlackFacts.com using your favorite Social Media Login. Click the appropriate button below and you will be redirected to your Social Media Website for confirmation and then back to Blackfacts.com once successful.
Enter the email address and password you used to join BlackFacts.com. If you cannot remember your login information, click the “Forgot Password” link to reset your password.
[New Republic] President George Weah has become uneasy with the news of a military takeover in neighboring Guinea on Sunday, September 5, 2021.
Many people have been killed since clashes began on Monday. Scores too had been killed in the run up to the vote as protestors marched against Conde's bid for a third term.
Since Sunday's vote cities in Guinea have been marred by violence, with Diallo supporters clashing with government forces.
Former Republican Gov. Charlie Crist announced his second run for governor as a Democrat on May 4 in south St. Petersburg. BY FRANK DROUZAS, Staff Writer ST. PETERSBURG - Former governor and current U.S. Rep Charlie Crist announced on the 22nd Street Corridor yesterday that he wants his old job back in 2022. Crist, who […]
[New Dawn] French President Emmanuel Macron has assured Liberian President George Manneh Weah of his unflinching support towards the Liberian government's efforts to improve the lives of its people.
Secretary-General of the ANC, Ace Magashule, on Wednesday said he'd "formally appeal the unconstitutional suspension".
By Bo Erickson, CBS News The Biden administration announced its intention last Thursday to ban menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars, including menthol. 'Banning menthol—the last allowable flavor—in cigarettes and banning all flavors in cigars will help save lives, particularly among those disproportionately affected by these deadly products. With these actions, the FDA will help significantly […]
Nine people, including one police officer, have died in the West African state of Guinea, the security ministry said Wednesday, following days of unrest after a tense weekend presidential election.
In a statement, the ministry pointed to shootings and stabbings in the capital Conakry and elsewhere in the country since Sunday's presidential vote.
\"This strategy of chaos (was) orchestrated to jeopardise the elections of October 18, \" the ministry said, adding that many people had been injured and property was damaged.
Clashes were ongoing in Conakry on Wednesday, where a security officer, Mamadou Keganan Doumbouya, told the press that at least three people had died.
And a local doctor, who declined to be named, said he had received two dead bodies, and nine injured people, at his clinic.
The violence follows the high-stakes election in which President Alpha Conde ran for a third term in a controversial bid that had already sparked mass protests.
With tensions already running high, Guinea's main opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo on Monday declared victory in the election -- before the announcement of the official results, which are expected this week.
Opposition supporters are deeply suspicious about the fairness of the poll, although the government insists that it was fair.
Much of the tension in Guinea centres on Conde's candidacy.
In March, the 82-year-old president pushed through a new constitution which he argued would modernise the country. It also allowed him to bypass a two-term limit for presidents, however.
Security forces repressed mass protests against the move from October last year, killing dozens of people.
On Wednesday, plumes of black smoke rose over an opposition stronghold in the capital Conakry, where protesters erected barricades and lit fires, an AFP journalist saw.
Youths in alleyways also hurled stones at police officers stationed along a main artery who fired back tear gas canisters.
The security ministry stated that \"a police officer was lynched to death\" in a Conakry suburb, without specifying when the attack occurred.
In a social media post earlier on Wednesday, Conde appealed for \"calm and serenity while awaiting the outcome of the electoral process\".
- Clashes and barricades -
Ten candidates are in the race besides alongside frontrunners Conde and Diallo, old political rivals who traded barbs in a bitter campaign.
Despite fears of violence after the pre-vote clashes, polling day was mostly calm.
Then Diallo's self-proclaimed election victory ratcheted up tensions, and celebrations by his supporters descended into violent clashes with security forces on Monday.
The opposition politician said that security forces killed three youngsters that night, although AFP was unable to confirm the details.
Security forces also barricaded Diallo inside his house, the politician said on Tuesday.
Monitors from the African Union and the 15-nation West African bloc ECOWAS both said that Guinea's election was mostly fair, despite insistence from Diallo's camp tha
[Daily News] TANZANIANS marked the 57th Anniversary of the Union between Zanzibar and Tanganyika on Monday without the feasts, political speeches, military parades, and dancing that colour the day.
DR. HYGINUS ‘Gene’ Leon yesterdaytook office asPresidentof the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB), becoming the sixth...
The post Dr. Leon named new President of the Caribbean Development Bank appeared first on Voice Online.
[SciDev.Net] Nairobi -- Gambia has eliminated trachoma as a public health problem, offering hope to other African countries trying to eradicate the painful eye disease.
President Uhuru Kenyatta lifts harsh restrictions to contain the spread of the second wave of the pandemic. The post Kenyans Breath A Sigh Of Relief As Covid Restrictions Ease appeared first on Zenger News.